About ToxicTrailers.com

ToxicTrailers.com was launched after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 when the government spent more than $2 billion on FEMA trailers with high levels of formaldehyde that sickened thousands of people. The FEMA trailer tragedy exposed what is a widespread problem in RVs, mobile homes, modular buildings and even conventional buildings that use pressed wood products. Unfortunately, as we approach the tenth anniversary of Katrina, formaldehyde regulations are not being enforced in the U.S., and people's health is at risk. If you are having burning eyes, congestion, sore throat, coughing, breathing difficulties, frequent sinus infections or rashes, and difficulties concentrating, you may have a formaldehyde problem. For questions or to share your story, write 4becky@cox.net.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

FEMA trailer manufacturer's Haiti classrooms also have toxic formaldehyde levels

We were alarmed by reports that the used FEMA trailers would be sent to Haiti after the massive earthquake. Thankfully that didn't happen, but instead one manufacturer of the toxic FEMA trailers got the contract to build the same kind of crap for Haiti hurricane shelters that are being used as schools!

See http://www.thenation.com/article/161908/shelters-clinton-built

The reporters found very high formaldehyde levels in the classrooms and the sick teachers and children that would be expected from this exposure. The following quote reminded me so much of people in the Katrina FEMA trailers who moved out to live in sheds or tents because they were suffering so much from the formaldehyde exposure in the trailers:

Sitting in the sixth-grade classroom, student Mondialie Cineas, who dreams of becoming a nurse, said that three times a week the teacher gives her and her classmates painkillers so that they can make it through the school day. "At noon, the class gets so hot, kids get headaches," the 12-year-old said, wiping beads of sweat from her brow. She is worried because "the kids feel sick, can't work, can't advance to succeed."

Yet according to Maddalena, given the high rate of formaldehyde found in one of the classrooms, and the children's headaches, "they'd be better off studying outside under a tarp."

Formaldehyde outgassing increases with heat and humidity so putting these in a place where they wouldn't have air conditioning in a hot, humid climate was a recipe for disaster.

Ironically, Clayton Homes claims to have developed the first “Green” manufactured home.