About ToxicTrailers.com

ToxicTrailers.com was launched after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 when the government spent more than $2 billion on FEMA trailers with high levels of formaldehyde that sickened thousands of people. The FEMA trailer tragedy exposed what is a widespread problem in RVs, mobile homes, modular buildings and even conventional buildings that use pressed wood products. Unfortunately, as we approach the tenth anniversary of Katrina, formaldehyde regulations are not being enforced in the U.S., and people's health is at risk. If you are having burning eyes, congestion, sore throat, coughing, breathing difficulties, frequent sinus infections or rashes, and difficulties concentrating, you may have a formaldehyde problem. For questions or to share your story, write 4becky@cox.net.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Urgent need to act now!

Please send your prayers today for Mickey Kizziah, who is undergoing surgery for pancreatic cancer. As he was flying off to Texas for surgery, I delivered the news that the formaldehyde levels in his FEMA camper in Gulfport tested well over the limit at .16 ppm. Mickey was in good health until he started living in the FEMA trailer. He has turned yellow and jokes about that. He has a really good attitude, but it just infuriates me to think of him living in this toxic environment for so long.

A nurse in Texas who has lost the ability to work because of memory problems and other health issues that developed after she purchased a travel trailer and lived in it. Her tests came in one of the highest we have seen (.41 ppm) except for Marvin Motes of Vancleave, who had a similar Keystone camper that tested at .42 ppm.

A woman from Gulf Park Estates I tested has multiple health problems, and says her head feels like a balloon with too much air in it. Someone keeps trying to blow more air into it. She has difficulty even laying her head on the pillow, it hurts so bad. Her trailer tested at .165 ppm. Eye drops to relieve the pressure in her eyes cost $95 for five days.

And tests were extremely high for Rev. James Harris of Gulfport who testified in Congress about this problem. His test came in at .385 ppm. He and his family have suffered many health problems including one emergency room visit where Rev. Harris thought was having a heart attack. The bill for that one visit alone was $5,000. When I told him the test results, he could hardly believe it and was ashamed he hadn’t taken better care of his family. I told him it wasn’t his fault, but I know he still feels shock and horror to learn that the place they have been living in has been poisoning them.

This is just four stories. There are probably thousands more. We need to DO SOMETHING MORE to get people moved out of these toxic campers IMMEDIATELY!!!

ANY IDEAS??

Becky